WHEN WE ARE CLOSED
What is NHS 111?
This is a free to call number available 24 hours a day every day of the year
- It is a single point of access for urgent care advice 'when it is not as serious as 999'
- This service will direct you to the appropriate agency that you need without the need to re-triage
There are only 3 numbers to remember for urgent healthcare advice:
- Your GP surgery for problems arising in the normal working day
- 111 if the practice is closed or if you are away from home
- 999 if there is a life threatening emergency
Calls to NHS 111 will be answered by trained health advisers who will assess your needs using a clinical assessment tool already used locally in the out-of-hours service
NHS 111 can:
- Dispatch an ambulance
- Give Health advice and information or
- Direct you to the most appropriate local service
Call 999 in an emergency.
Chest pains and/or shortness of breath constitute an emergency